Have your say! "Free Speech" or Muslim bashing? Do you support Iraq troop withdrawal? Iran invasion?
  • Please read our posting policy before adding a comment
  • Target areas: Operation "Anyone But Labour" 2006
  • Tuesday, March 07, 2006

    Labour Party suspends member for speaking up for residents

    According to this article, from This is Teeside, the former Labour leader of Middlesborough Council has been thrown out of the party for daring to speak out against the demolishing of 1500 homes in the town centre:

    He said: "My sole crime seems to be that I would not accept the Middlesbrough Labour Group's leadership demands that I stay silent and support the unnecessary destruction of a large and well-established multi-cultural community in my ward. If I were to do so, this would go against the majority of residents' wishes.

    "This is indeed a very sad time in Middlesbrough for the local Labour Party democracy. I will be speaking with local residents about my current predicament and my future.

    "This will help me decide after this year how best I can continue to represent and serve the good people of Gresham ward, if they want me to continue as one of their three councillors."

    See all recent "A Logical Voice" posts

    2 Comments:

    At 3/09/2006 03:44:00 am, Blogger colcam said...

    It's just a pity more councillors and MPs from around the country wouldn't stand up for their individual beliefs instead of doing sheep impersonations.

    Hats off to this one.

     
    At 3/09/2006 08:44:00 am, Blogger Truth Seeker said...

    Yes, and if he does decide to stand as an independent, I wish him the very best.

     

    Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home