Have your say! "Free Speech" or Muslim bashing? Do you support Iraq troop withdrawal? Iran invasion?
  • Please read our posting policy before adding a comment
  • Target areas: Operation "Anyone But Labour" 2006
  • Friday, February 03, 2006

    Who wants a "clash of civilisations"?

    I have been reading, over the past few days reports in various media outlets about those cartoons which have caused great offence to Muslims around the world. It's my personal view that while free speech must be important in today's society, that free speech must not translate into an excuse to launch vitriolic attacks on a whole race, or religion. It seems to me that certain groups have been buoyed by the controversy over the cartoons showing Mohammed, and that they have jumped on the bandwagon claiming "free speech" is their priority, when it is quite obvious that some of them are merely using the controversy to whip up more hatred. As I said, i'm all in favour of free speech, and of people's ability to protest. What I am not in favour of, however, is certain actions or words wilfully engaged in which intend to create a "clash of civilisations". I'm not jumping on any bandwagon, and I have given my reasons above why I do not wish to do so, I'd like to see more people sit back and take a look at the motivations of people when they are giving a viewpoint. Finally, we are not engaged in a clash of civilisations. And those among us whose sanity is still in tact would not wish to engage in such a clash. Ask yourselves, when people make certain comments would they like to see such a clash? See all recent "A Logical Voice" posts

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home